Does anyone else have the fear of growing old ? Like one day being too old to do certain “young” things.
Yeah, most of us have that type of fear. Not to the extent of it being a phobia but a general fear of growing old (or should I say growing up? BTW check out Gerascophobia).
I have these certain limits that I set for myself; so that at the least in my mind, I feel like I am battling the oncoming “old” me.
- I stay away from shoulder bags. I detest them, like strongly hate them; First of all, why are they right under our arms? how do you search in them when they are right there in my underarms? how is that in any way comfortable? Secondly, I feel they give the older lady look; but it could just be my mentality.
- I stay away from any kind of makeup for office. I had to think through typing this out; as nowadays “young” people too put on a lot of makeup. Maybe the reason why I stay away from makeup for office, is because my mom tends to keep saying – ‘you are working now and still walking around without even applying lipstick!!‘.
- I try to stay fit. I hate being that person who cannot jump, run or walk a certain distance. Psst.. I do all that just so I am not one of those people. I hate that sometimes after a short run, my legs pain or my chest low-key hurts. So, I push myself, I go to the gym, I try to eat when required i.e. when I am actually feeling hungry. From last October, Thwe and I have started going for marathons. Not half or full marathon though; 5km or 10km are more than fine, thank you. That adrenaline coursing through my veins (sounds like a sports ad line) gives me the satisfaction that I am trying to stay fit; or it could just be the endorphins which makes me a teeny bit happy. I just do not want to one day, hold my back and say No, I cannot do this.
- I like to ride my old, battered scooter fast. I know there is no way that I can defend myself for my speeding, but I just cannot handle riding slow. The only time I ride slow is when I am in deep thought. Maybe it’s all those action movies that I sometimes watch, and how being young is all about being fast.
- Marriage scares me, more than I like to blurt out. My friends are getting married one by one, and that is like a scare tactic for me. Who said only men get upset when their friends get married? Yes, I am happy for them; but the scariness of it wins by a margin of 0.0000001%. I do not want to be that person who says I do not want to get married one day, but I also love my freedom and being single. FYI, I am the girl who has never been in a relationship here. So, you can guess how much being in one would scare me. Yeah, I also have my dreamy moments. But, getting married would be a threshold of growing up, that can never be crossed out at a later date. See how I said girl? instead of lady or woman or female or mademoiselle? Striving hard to stay “young”!
- Oh! and I am on a mission to get as many tattoos as possible (one per year). (piercings on my ear too maybe).
That is all I could think about for the post right now, but I am sure I have 10 more small little things that I do/ do not to make myself satisfied in staying young.
I know my ways are a little neurotic than usual, but what do you try to stay young? to hold onto your younger self?